Devín Castle

pictures, photos, facts and information on Devín Castle (Bratislava)


Devín Castle ( 640x480 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 640x480 | 800x600 | 1024x768 | 1280x960

Devín Castle on the Map

GPS N48.174124°,E16.977713°
Devin Castle is now the ruin of large castle. Its area was pronounced the National Cultural Site in 1961. It lies on the rock above the confluence of the rivers Danube and Morava, in the most southern part of Malé Karpaty mountains. The rock is in the height of 212 metres above sea level.

It was mentioned for the first time in 864 in the Fuldský annals as the fortress Dowina that belonged to Rastislav – the Emperor of Veľká Morava. However, the site of the castle had been settled since the prehistoric ages. After the fall of Veľká Morava, the fortress lost its strategic position. It was regained at the end of 13th century, now as the strategic position of the rocky castle. And this remained so up to the end of 17th century. The castle was destroyed by Napoleon’s army in 1809. During the National Revival it became the symbol of famous history of Veľká Morava and the tradition of St. Cyril and Method.

The rocky castle built in the 13th century was much smaller than previous fortress. Its core was created by the polygonal patrol tower with the defensive wall. The castle was enlarged in the second half of the 15th century, when the east external settlement, as well as the new residential palace was built. The castle became the property of earls of towns Svätý Jur and Pezinok in 1460. They have had the second external settlement and smaller polygonal tower with embrasure on the south side built. Bátorys, the later owners of Devin Castle built new fortification in consequence of the danger of Turkish invasion. The castle was changed for the last time in the 17th century, under the reign of Pálffy family. The massive square bastion was built on the northern hillside.

Nowadays it has served for the archeological research, conversation and partly also restoration works since 1967. The upper and the middle part of the caste maintained in the form of ruins. The bottom as well as the middle part is already secured, the upper part is worked on. In all parts there are ground plans of all found buildings marked.
Search earthinpictures.com site