Queen Victoria Monument on Derby Square

pictures, photos, facts and information on Queen Victoria Monument on Derby Square (Liverpool)


Queen Victoria Monument on Derby Square ( 480x640 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 480x640 | 600x800 | 768x1024 | 960x1280
The Queen Victoria Monument is situated on the Derby Square, on the corner of Lord Street and Castle Street. Previously, the site was occupied by the Liverpool Castle (demolished in 1725) followed by St George’s Church (until 1889).

The core of the monument is created by the bronze statue of Queen Victoria. It is 4.42 metres high and the pedestal is 2.04 metres. Besides the main statue of Queen Victoria, there are several figures on the monument. Actually, the number of statues is quite large. The lower figures, four groups of three figures each, represent Agriculture, Commerce, Education and Industry while the upper ones, women with two infants, represent Justice, Education, Prosperity through Peace, and perhaps Nurture. One figure stands on the top of the dome. It is a winged Victory angel standing on a globe and holding trumpet and olive wreath. Other monument’s parts were made of stone. The decoration inside is made of gold and the whole monument is coated in black epoxy paint.

The architects for the monument were Professor F.M. Simpson, and Willink and Thicknesse, and the sculptor was Professor Charles J, Allan. The foundation stone was laid on 11 October 1902 by Earl Roberts. The construction took four years and the monument was unveiled on 27 September 1906, by Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll.

During the Second World War much of the area around the Victoria monument was seriously damaged by bombing and also the monument itself had to be repaired.
Search earthinpictures.com site