Port of Liverpool Building

pictures, photos, facts and information on Port of Liverpool Building (Liverpool)


Port of Liverpool Building ( 640x480 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 640x480 | 800x600 | 1024x768 | 1280x960
Port of Liverpool Building is one of the most significant Liverpool buildings. It is one of the “Three Grace’s”, the first that was built. It stands at the Pier Head next to the Albert Dock and it is Grade II listed building. Previously it was known as The Dock Office. It got the present name in 1972.

The Port of Liverpool Building was designed by Arnold Thornley and built between 1904 and 1907. The style’s name is Edwardian Baroque. Portland stone was used for the construction. It was the head office of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. Inside, there is an octagonal hall rising to the dome, with galleries running around it.

During the Second World War the eastern wing of the building was damaged by bomb explosion. The reconstruction after war was more expensive than the construction itself. In 2005 the complete refurbishment of the building started. After it is finished, the Port of Liverpool building should be open to the public by creating a new viewing floor inside the dome, a publicly accessible sunken piazza on the riverside frontage, as well as a series of luxury apartments on the rooftop.

In 1994 the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company moved out of the building and Liverpool-based property group Downing has been the owner since 2001. The building is currently home to some of the most prestigious companies in Merseyside.
Search earthinpictures.com site