Former Exchange Railway Station

pictures, photos, facts and information on Former Exchange Railway Station (Liverpool)


Former Exchange Railway Station ( 480x640 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 480x640 | 600x800 | 768x1024 | 960x1280
Liverpool Exchange railway station was a railway station in Liverpool. It was opened on 13 May 1850 as a replacement for Great Howard Street Station. At that time it was known by two names. To the LYR (Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway) it was Exchange Station and to the ELR (East Lancashire Railway) it was Tithebarn Street. 540 houses had to be demolished for the purpose of the station. It had five platforms covered with roof (one platform for arrivals and two platforms each for departures). Each company has its own offices, booking facilities and waiting rooms. The frontage of the station was built in the “Italianate” style and it was two storeys high. On 13 August 1859 ELR became part of LYR, so the station’s name unitized to Liverpool Exchange.

At the end of 1870s extensions of the stations were needed. However, nothing was done until 1886, 12 December when the reconstruction began. It was finished on 2 July 1888. The new Exchange Station consisted of a grand hotel frontage behind which was located a covered ‘cab’ road. Then there were buildings for offices, booking and waiting facilities. Number of platforms doubled. At this time station was served by long distance trains to Blackpool, The Lake District, Scotland, Lancashire and onwards east to Yorkshire and of course express service to Manchester.

In 1904 electrification of Southport Line started. It made the services faster. The station was extensively damaged during the Second World War and it was even without service for three months in 1941. It became busy again after the war and in 1960 number of destinations increased. However, at the end of the decade a lot of services were transferred to new Liverpool Lime Station.

In the early 1970 the construction of an underground loop and link line began. New underground station at Moorfields was built and Liverpool Exchange Station was closed on 20 April 1977.

Parts of the original station wall can still be seen when walking down Pall Mall or Bixteth Street. The station frontage which was at one time a hotel has been converted into the Mercury Court office complex. The train shed was demolished shortly after closure and the site is now a car park.
Search earthinpictures.com site