St Andrew's Cathedral

pictures, photos, facts and information on St Andrew's Cathedral (Glasgow)


St Andrew's Cathedral ( 480x640 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 480x640 | 600x800 | 768x1024 | 960x1280
St Andrew's Cathedral or the Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St Andrews is a Roman Catholic church located in the city centre of Glasgow, on the north bank of the Clyde River. It is the seat of bishop, the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow.

The church was built between 1814 and 1816 according to the design of James Gillespie Graham in Scottish Gothic architectural style. The church formally re-introduced the Roman Catholic presence in the city since before the Roman Catholics in Glasgow had had to worship covertly. This was the first Roman Catholic church built here. The hostility towards Roman Catholic Church was evident also during the construction, when it had to be guarded in order to protect it. During the reign of Pope Leo XIII St. Andrew’s was raised to the statue of pro-Cathedral in 1884 and was also extensively renovated at that time by the architects Pugin and Pugin.

The last major renovation started in the summer of 2009 and continued also in 2010. The programme of renovation included the completion of new heating and lighting systems, redecoration and gold leaf restoration, installation of newly commissioned bronze doors, the repair and reinstatement of the pipe organ and the installation of a new canvas by Peter Howson depicting the martyrdom of St John Ogilvie.
Search earthinpictures.com site