Glasgow Cathedral from afar

pictures, photos, facts and information on Glasgow Cathedral from afar (Glasgow)


Glasgow Cathedral from afar ( 480x640 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 480x640 | 600x800 | 768x1024 | 960x1280
Glasgow Cathedral, known also as High Kirk or St Kentigern’s or St Mungo’s Cathedral, is a congregation of the Church of Scotland in Glasgow. It is the oldest building in Glasgow, located beside Glasgow Royal Infirmary, below Glasgow Necropolis.

Glasgow Cathedral is built on the place where St. Mungo (saint patron of Glasgow) built his church. St. Mungo’s tomb is still in the lower crypt in the cathedral. It is a typical example of Gothic architecture, one of few Scottish medieval churches and the only medieval cathedral in Scotland to have survived the Reformation unroofed. Technically, it is no longer a cathedral as it has not been the seat of the bishop since 1690, but it is still place of an active Christian worship. The building is owned by the Crown and it is maintained by Historic Scotland. It is quite popular with tourists.

The very first stone building was built here in 1136. It was succeeded by a larger cathedral consecrated in 1197, during the time of Bishop Jocelyn. There was some rebuilding and enlarging going on in subsequent years and the whole church may have been completed before the end of the 13th century. Most of the Nave above sill level probably dates from after 1330, and the West Window from the later 14th century. There are also two additions dating from the 15th century, the Blacader Aisle and the 'pulpitum' or organ loft. A modern feature comprises the fine stained glass windows in the Quire, mainly installed in the nineteen-sixties.

After the Reformation a wall was put across the nave to allow the western portion of the nave to be used for worship by a congregation which became known as the Outer High. The Lower Church was used by another congregation, the Barony, from 1596-1801, until a new church was built just across from the Cathedral.
Search earthinpictures.com site