Frauenkirche (Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady)

pictures, photos, facts and information on Frauenkirche (Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady) (Munich)


Frauenkirche (Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady) ( 480x640 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 480x640 | 600x800 | 768x1024 | 960x1280
The Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche) belongs to Munich landmarks and can be found on every postcard from the city. Its towers with round spires called also Welsh bonnets, can be seen from great distance (which should remain so, because it is forbidden to build buildings over 100 metres high in the Munich centre). This Catholic cathedral is located in the centre of the city, at Frauenplatz 1.

Before the cathedral itself, in 12th century there was a small chapel standing on this place. The foundations of present cathedral were laid in 1468 by an architect Jorg von Halsbach (named Ganghofer). The construction was commissioned by Duke Sigismund. It was finished 20 years later and this event tempted many Pilgrims to Munich. The church was consecrated in 1494. The green bonnets were added later, in 1524. They were modeled on the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem and built during the renaissance, according the renaissance style. They gleam green colour harmonizes with the red klinker-bricked building that is built in ghotic style. The cathedral is 108 metres high and 38 metres wide; towers are 99 metres high, one being 12 centimetres higher. It was planned for an assembly of about 20 000 people and there are still holding Masses nowadays.

The south tower is accessible via elevator and one can enjoy the view of all Munich as well as Alps mountains. At night, the entire façade is illuminated.

During the World War II the church’s roof collapsed and one of the towers was damaged severely. Between 1990 and 1993 the cathedral underwent huge reconstruction.

From the interior treasures there are series of apostle and Prophet sculptures by Erasmus Grasser, the altarpieces by Jan Pollack and the painting of "the assumption of virgin Mary" by Peter Candid. Worthy to mention are also glass windows from 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. The main portal is shaped by twelve wooden reliefs by Ignatz Günther. Graves of Wittelsbacher dynasty as well as the marble grave of the emperor Ludwig IV by Hans Krumper can be found here too. The biggest curiosity is devil’s foot – the black mark resembling a footprint with a small hooked tail at the heel, just at the entrance to the cathedral. According to the legend devil stood there when curiously regarded and ridiculed the “windowless” church that Halsbach had built (from this spot one can perfectly see the main altar but none of the sides windows).
Search earthinpictures.com site