Valtice Church

pictures, photos, facts and information on Valtice Church (Lednice-valtice Cultural Landscape)


Valtice Church ( 480x640 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 480x640 | 600x800 | 768x1024 | 960x1280
The Church of Assumption of Mary in Valtice is a renaissance and baroque church that was built by Karel Eusebius of Liechtenstein in the years 1634 – 1671. The church, which replaced the original parish church in Valtice, was designed by Italian architect Giovanni Giacomo Tencalla. After the arch broke down in 1641 the construction was finished by Ondrej Erna from Brno.

The church is quite big; it is 48 metres long, 28 metres wide and 34 metres high. It has one nave with transparent angulation of arches and rectangled-finished presbytery. On the gospel site of the presbytery there is the sacristy and on the other epistolary site is the Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre. There are oratories above them. The picture of the Assumption on the altar was made by Gaetano Fanti is a copy of Rubens original. Other paintings in the church are also of Rubens origin. The one above the altar is the Holy Trinity and on site altars there are Adoration of the Magi and the Circumcision of Christ. The pulpit with the Liechtenstein sign is the work of Italian F. Farne. On the ceiling there is an interesting pargeting of one of the Tencallas‘ brothers. Mirrors were originally planned to be painted, however, there was not enough money to complete it.

At the beginning of the 20th century both towers were roofed. In 1992 new bells were installed into the towers. They symbolize reconciliation between Czech citizens of Valtice and original German inhabitants who were removed to nearby Austria after the World War II. The original bell from the Church of Assumption of Mary is in the hall of Valtice Castle. There are Latin signs on both sites of the bell and a German text around the whole top part.
Search earthinpictures.com site